Choose a web framework is a complicated issue. Evaluating different technical issues is mandatory. You need to bear in mind programming languages, ORMâ€™s, testing frameworks, how to make logging and so on. But other non-technical aspects like experience, kind of project and deadeline are important too. Performance and scalability are important, no doubt, but perhaps only is the application is growing up.
Nowadays is easy to find different and good web frameworks like Rails, CakePHP, CodeIgniter, TurboGears, Django, Quixote or Spring. My personal advice is to evaluate two or three at least to take a right decision.
Here you have a small summary with issues to bear in mind before choosing a web framework:
- Teamâ€™s experience: Developers and sysadmins.
- Hosting: Is easy to find a good environment for my framewok?
- Scalability: How to grow.
- Performance: Cache, operating system, web server, database replication, high-performance, failure tolerance.
- Deployment options: Apache (mod_php, mod_python), CGI, FastCGI, WSGI.
- Deadline: Because time is important.
- Programming issues: ORM, logging, testing, automatic deploy, different environments, SSL, validation, mailing, internationalization, web services, programming language, authentication, AJAX, third party libraries.